If you’ve spent any amount of time on a heating and cooling service’s website, you’ve undoubtedly seen plenty of advertisements for air conditioner maintenance. But what is it about tune-ups and routine care that make them so critical?
At Kellermeier Plumbing & Heating, we feel that keeping our customers informed is critical to providing the superior service we strive for. We can tell you all day that you need routine maintenance, but the why is pretty important here.
Looking for top-quality HVAC maintenance for your Ohio home? Contact the certified specialists at Kellermeier Plumbing & Heating today!
The Importance of Routine Professional Maintenance
Your cooling system utilizes a rather intricate system of moving parts, components, and systems to provide the cooling that you need. All of these systems must work in-tandem and without any resistance in order to perform as efficiently as possible.
Without maintenance, your system will steadily fall into disrepair. This can manifest as higher cooling costs, increased frequency of repairs, or eventually complete air conditioner failure, necessitating costly air conditioner replacement.
But even beyond avoiding failure, routine maintenance comes with a variety of excellent benefits, including:
- Reduced cooling costs. Higher efficiency directly translates into using less energy to achieve the same results. This means with the higher efficiency achieved by maintenance, you pay less to get more cooling. A triumph for comfort and your wallet, all in one!
- Better comfort. In addition to your lower energy costs, a well-maintained system will also provide better, higher-quality cooling for your home. This reduces “hot spots” and temperature inconsistencies that can be bothersome or downright uncomfortable.
- Improved air quality. Professional maintenance addresses the dust and debris that commonly collect in and around your system. These pollutants and allergens regularly cycle through your system and into the air of your home. This not only reduces efficiency, but can also drastically exacerbate allergies and other breathing complications.
- Cleaner homes. That dust and debris that an un-maintained system is blowing about will eventually come to rest on carpets, drapes, and even furniture. It can get to the point where no matter how hard you clean, a fine sheet of dust can cover everything!
- Less frequent and less costly repairs. Routine professional maintenance involves checking components, connections, and systems to ensure everything is in order. It is no exaggeration to say that many of the repairs we perform would be outright avoided with maintenance. And if you do need repairs, they’re less likely to involve critical components, making for cheaper, less time-consuming repairs.
Comprehensive Air Conditioner Maintenance in Ohio
At Kellermeier Plumbing & Heating, our experts carry extensive skill and experience in providing the highest quality maintenance services available. We take great care to ensure your system is performing at its absolute best, and that it will continue to do so for a long, long time. Contact us today to set your appointment or to learn more about our maintenance services!
Whether cooking for a family gathering, or for a full-fledged party, absolutely nothing tops a grill! When summer’s in swing, you turn to your grill for an outdoor experience that leaves everyone smiling. But, all of that extensive use and good times can leave your grill looking pretty rough. Caked on char and greasy grates can mess up cook times, reduce the performance of your grill, and worst of all, it can leave your food with a funky taste!
At Kellermeier Plumbing & Heating, we’re all about top quality service and products, so to us, keeping your grill in top-shape is of prime importance. But cleaning your grill can be an outright chore, right? Well, not necessarily. With the right set of tips, you can be cooking clean in no time!
The process can change a bit from grill to grill, but overall a grill cleaning should be fairly quick!
General Gas Grill Cleaning
- Always clean your grill after every cooking session. Keeping up with your cleaning habits makes things much simpler, and keeps you from ending up with hunks of stubborn char and oil.
- Keep your grill covered when not in use. Wind and rain can promote rust and kick dust into your grill that has no place being there!
- Use a wire brush to scratch off hunks of char and stuck bits of food. This keeps them from becoming lodged into important places, like your burners.
- Occasionally do a “burn off” by running your grill on high heat for ten to fifteen minutes. This helps minimize buildup around the burners, and can clear out debris that may have been caught in your grill.
- Don’t neglect the exterior of your grill. Give it a good wipe down on every use, just like the inside. Just be sure it has cooled off first!
Depending on how frequently you use your grill, you should give it a really solid cleaning every one to three months.
- Start in with your wire brush and give your grill a very thorough scratch-off. Spend around five to ten doing this; be sure you’re thorough!
- For a gas grill, clean off the burner protectors with a rough sponge. Protectors are easily removed from your grill , and you can haul them off to the kitchen sink, or just use a bucket of soapy water.
- Cover the lower portion and the elements/burners of your grill with discarded cloth, or a bit of kitchen foil and scrub the carbon buildup from the underside of the hood.
- If your grill uses a drip pan, be sure to clear and empty it. Keep in mind that you should never just dump used oil and drippings in the trash! Pour the remains into a used coffee tin, or an empty milk jug before tossing it.
- Once all of your scratching and scrubbing is done, discard all of the built up char and debris that has fallen into the bottom of your grill. The bottom should actually feature a removable tray, making this step very simple. And while it’s out, clean the tray too.
Superior Grill Products and Services with Kellermeier in Northwest Ohio
Looking to get a new, high-class grill for your home? We carry a full line of MHP® gas grills, available for either propane or natural gas! Or maybe you’re happy with the grill you’ve got, but it’s decided to go on the fritz. Well, our certified experts have you covered there as well, with our comprehensive grill repair and replacement parts! Contact Kellermeier Plumbing & Heating today to learn more about our grill services!
Absolutely no homeowner likes to deal with air conditioner repair. You depend on your system to provide the comfort and quality cooling you need to beat back those sweltering Ohio summers, and when deprived, it can be a massive source of stress. But what’s even worse than air conditioner issues? When it refuses to even turn on, or engage!
At Kellermeier Plumbing & Heating, we take pride in our ability to provide the highest quality cooling solutions in the Northwest Ohio area. Knowing when to call in the professionals for air conditioner repair is key to ensuring you have the cooling you depend on and being able to identify reasons for ac failure can help you know when the time is right.
Need air conditioner repair in Perrysburg, Findlay, or Bowling Green Ohio? Contact the certified AC specialists at Kellermeier today!
Common Causes for Air Conditioner Failure
Before we dive in, check your system to ensure it is set to both “on” and “cool”. It might sound silly, but many homeowners simply forget to change the settings from winter to summer. It’s also possible that the controls were bumped or tampered with without your knowing. We mention this because we’ve seen it happen, and the last thing you want is to call in for professional repair only to find there wasn’t actually an issue at all!
Everything as it should be? Alright, then we can check:
- Blocked air flow. Take a moment to check your filter. A dirty filter can restrict air flow, preventing your system from operating properly, and can even potentially stop it from kicking on at all. There are other forms of air flow blockage, such as within ducts, or an issue with internal components, but these definitely require professional repair.
- Check the electrical panel. Is the breaker for your cooling system flipped to off? If so, flip it back to on and see if that remedies your issue. If it kicks off again, and the breaker is flipped once more, call in a professional! At this point it’s an electrical issue, either with wiring, components, or the panel itself. This is not the time to DIY, as electrical components can be extremely dangerous, and you risk doing permanent damage to your system.
- System or component freezing. There are numerous causes for an air conditioner to freeze up. And we do mean literally. Poor air flow, low refrigerant levels (a leak), and even a damaged blower motor can all result in freezes. If you spot ice or moisture on your system, it’s time for professional repair.
- Condensate blockage. As a secondary function, your air conditioner system acts as a low-grade dehumidifier. The moisture it collects is normally evacuated by way of the condensate drain; usually a hose or pipe that goes outside or to a drain in the basement. When blocked, moisture will back up in your system, and a failsafe will trigger that prevents your system from operating to avoid permanent water damage.
Choose Kellermeier for Superior Air Conditioner Repair in Ohio
If you’re suffering without dependable cooling in your Ohio home, call on the certified experts at Kellermeier Plumbing & Heating! We can provide fast, effective service that will ensure you get the cooling you need this summer. Contact us today to learn more, or to set your appointment!